Records are maintained for births and deaths that occur in Winnebago County. Certified copies of these records maybe requested by eligible recipients for a fee.
Who can order a Birth Certificate?
- The person named on the certificate if over 18 years old
- A parent listed on the birth certificate
- A legal guardian or representative with supporting court documents
Who can order a Death Certificate?
- For a death in the past 20 years:
- Only the person listed on the death certificate (informant or parent) can receive the death certificate.
- Those with a legal purpose for obtaining must provide proof
- Death certificates are not public records
- A funeral home
- An executor of the estate
|Birth Certificate||Death Certificate|
|Regular Cost||Regular Cost||Cost for Veteran's Certificate||Cost for non-certified copy greater than 20 years since death|
|Each additional copy of the same certificate purchased at the same time||$5.00||$9.00||$6.00||$2.00|
|Handling fee for mail or electronic (E-PAY) requests||$3.00||$3.00||$3.00||$3.00|
Information You Will Need To Provide:
|To Obtain A Birth Certificate||To Obtain A Death Certificate|
|Name of child||Name of deceased|
|Date of birth||Date of death|
|Hospital where birth took place||Signature of requesting party|
|Mother's full maiden name||Relationship to deceased|
|Signature of requesting party||Current driver's license or state id|
|Relationship to child||Any documents needed for legal proof to obtain a death certificate if needed|
|Current driver's license or state id|
GETTING A CERTIFICATE
Bring the information you will need and come visit us at the Winnebago County Health Department. Look for the signs for “Vital Records” on the ground floor all the way down the hall and to the left.
Our Address is 555 North Court Street. We have plenty of free parking onsite.
Submit your request with payment and copy of your photo ID by mail to this address:
Winnebago County Health Department
ATTN: Vital Records
555 North Court Street
P. O. Box 4009
Rockford, IL 61103